Terms of Reference
Post Title: Database Developer/Administrator
Program: Revitalising Informal Settlements and their Environments (RISE)
Data Leader (Prof. Daniel Reidpath)
RISE In-Country Coordinator
With strong working relations to:
RISE Makassar Assessment Team Leader
RISE Makassar Intervention Team Leader
RISE Laboratory team
Community Field worker team
RISE researchers (local and overseas)
Duty Station: Faculty of Public Health, Hasanuddin University, Makassar, Indonesia
Duration: 12 months, extendable based on performance
Number of posts: 1 post
The Revitalising Informal Settlements and their Environments (RISE) program aims to demonstrate a new approach to water and sanitation management in urban informal settlements. RISE is an action-research program utilizing a randomized control trial (RCT) methodology involving 24 informal settlements (12 in each country). The RISE theory of change is that the water sensitive cities (WSC) approach can interrupt the fecal-oral transmission route, resulting in an improvement in human gastrointestinal health, especially for children under 5 years of age. The overall aim of RISE is ‘to improve the lives of men and women, boys and girls in informal settlements through improvements in human health and the environment by adopting a water sensitive cities (WSC) approach to informal settlement upgrading.
RISE is hiring a PostgreSQL Database administrator/developer with strong knowledge in SQL and another scripting language (Python, R, Bash) for automation. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years experience with SQL, Linux and scripting. Good English language skills are essential.
Develop the RISE database
- Develop the database architecture
- Develop automation tools for importing data from diverse sources
- Develop automation tools for data quality checks and automatic corrections
- Write complex relational queries
- Create database reports
- Support the internal testing and review of the draft database by RISE researchers
- Incorporate feedback from RISE researchers to reach a final version
Maintain and administer the RISE database
- Work with both the technical and nontechnical staff to meet user needs for storing and querying data
- Modify the database architecture as required
- Maintain automation tools for importing data from diverse sources
- Maintain automation tools for data quality checks and automatic corrections
- Write complex relational queries
- Create and modify database reports
- Schedule and perform regular server maintenance and back-up
- Perform basic file management tasks in a Linux environment
Key result areas:
The RISE program database is developed and operational across all RISE datasets
The RISE program database is maintained.
Required qualifications and experience:
A Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science or Software Engineering and database certification is preferred though not mandatory. Those without an appropriate degree qualification must have commensurately more experience.
At least 5 years of relevant database/programming experience in complex development/research program.
Skills and experience:
- Expert understanding of SQL and one or more other scripting languages (Bash, Python, R).
- Expertise in writing queries and creating tables
- Good familiarity working in a Linux environment
- Experience with PostGIS is highly desirable.
- Must be a motivated self-starter who can work independently and seeks out opportunities to learn, and work collaboratively with others
Excellent English oral and written language skills essential. Please send your cover letter and cv only through email to: fitriyanty.RISE@gmail.com by latest at April 27th 2019