The Empowering Indonesian Women for Poverty Reduction (MAMPU) program is a Partnership initiative of the Australian (GoA) and Indonesian Governments (GoI) that aims to improve the lives of poor women in Indonesia by strengthening gender interested organizations. The Program works through Gender interested organizations and with both the executive and legislative to influence government policies and services. BAPPENAS is the host agency for the MAMPU Program from the GoI and DFAT is the host for the GoA.
MAMPU focuses on five thematic areas:
1) Access to social protection programs
2) Access to employment
3) Improving conditions of overseas migrant workers
4) Sexual and reproductive health
5) Reducing violence against women
MAMPU partners with 14 primary civil society and gender-interested organizations to form coalitions with the public and private sectors to advocate for evidence based policy change. The program also supports women parliamentary caucuses and male and female gender advocate parliamentarians to advocate for reform from within government.
The Program Implementation Manager will manage and oversee the work programs within the five thematic areas, as well as the cross cutting support. This includes the team management of MAMPU’s Thematic Coordinators (managing the five thematic areas) and the cross cutting activities to deliver operational solutions for MAMPU Partners. The Manager will ensure the efficient and effective use of DFAT resources to maximize MAMPU outcomes.
The role will be part of MAMPU’s Senior Management Team (SMT) and be required to incorporate strategic and technical thinking into overall program direction including operational aspects.
The PIM will be responsible for managing and coordinating activities within the MAMPU Thematic and Cross Cutting areas. Duties will include, but may not be limited to the following;
1. Support for Partner planning and Partner work plan implementation within the thematic areas, which will include:
2. Supporting Thematic Coordinators in ensuring speedy resolution to any technical or operational issues related to Partner activity implementation;
3. Ensuring timely advice to Partners on program implementation matters and provision of regular updates on program implementation to the MAMPU team and with other relevant stakeholders (GoA and GoI) as required;
4. Actively identifying where cross partner and / or cross thematic area synergies and opportunities lie to enable greater collaboration and impact;
5. Managing and overseeing program implementation, design, and delivery for all Partner capacity building-related activities;
6. Leadership and performance management of the MAMPU Coordinators (Thematic and Cross Cutting Coordinators); including oversight of thematic work plans that sit outside of Partner grants;
7. Together with the Team Leader and Senior Program Advisor, Leadership and Strategic Direction to team members to ensure activity planning and associated implementation is in line with the MAMPU Program Strategy and Theory of Change and Thematic area Road Maps;
8. Management and oversight of the Cross cutting portfolio which includes increasing MAMPU’s engagement with parliamentarians and MAMPU’s Collective Action agenda;
9. Build and maintain effective relationships with key program stakeholders (Government and non-Government);
10. Attend meetings with GoI and GoA as required;
11. Contribute to the development of MAMPU annual work plans and progress reports;
12. Provide support to the Program Team Leader and SMT to ensure the Contractor’s responsibilities are met in supporting the implementation of MAMPU activities in a timely manner, within budget and according to DFAT policies and procedures;
13. Ensure timely contributions to reporting on all MAMPU deliverables;
14. Work closely with MAMPU’s SMT ensuring regular communication and that members are informed of matters as they arise.
The Manager will be required to provide a range of reports including:
1. Significant contribution to the MAMPU Annual Work Plan which is aligned to the goals of the MAMPU Program, identifying specific deliverables for implementation and clear linkages with Partner planning;
2. Routine Reporting on Program Implementation;
3. Oversee the process for the development and modification of Partners work plans – including both work plan development and implementation.
4. Contribute to six monthly progress reports with a focus on program implementation progress and including identification of key issues as relevant to the technical components of MAMPU;
5. Any other reports as required by GoA, GoI or MAMPU Team Leader.
1. Demonstrated experience (10 years) in managing a team of technical professionals including performance management;
2. Demonstrated experience in sourcing and managing high quality capacity building/technical assistance;
3. Demonstrated experience in activity management; including the development and implementation of a activity work plans;
4. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively;
5. Tertiary or post graduate qualifications in gender, social development, health, management or another relevant discipline;
6. Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English, with demonstrated ability to work successfully across cultures, particularly within the Indonesian Government and with CSO’s or non-government organisations;
7. Demonstrated ability to effectively broker, collaborate and build strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders to achieve agreed deliverables and performance objectives;
8. Understanding of the Australian aid program and knowledge of the Indonesian Women’s Movement and an understanding of the main players an advantage.