The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Freelance Graphic Designer
The graphic designer will take on short-term product-based assignments to produce international-quality publication design products. Tasks will be assigned to assist design and typesetting staff during high-volume periods to accommodate and support publication requests.
Duties and responsibilities
This position is a non-scientific position. We are looking for someone who has significant experience in graphic design and typesetting long technical documents, as well as working with charts, tables, maps, photos, and detailed annexes and bibliographic lists.
Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for:
- Consulting with clients and design and typesetting staff to determine project specifications and deliverables;
- Ensuring creative and design deliverables are representative of the project goals and CIFOR brand values;
- Providing advice and recommendations for design and typesetting options, as well as details such as photography, illustrations and printing specifications;
- Developing project timelines as required, delivering projects on time and to the highest standards.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in creative design or communications. Background in science or environmental studies is an advantage;
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in graphic design and typesetting books, academic writing or reports;
• Mastery of Adobe design package applications: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat;
• Experience in proofreading of editorial publications using Adobe PDF mark-up;
• Excellent knowledge of print production/finishing, digital and offset printing knowledge, and camera-ready formatting for printing;
• Highly proficient typography skills, with ability to carefully input details and corrections, including effective version control and preparation for print;
• Past professional experience working in English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• An independent thinker who is self-motivated and able to juggle many projects and initiatives at once;
• Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product;
• Comfortable taking constructive criticism, as well as developing and presenting original ideas to staff and clients;
• Creative and able to take the initiative;
• Capable of working independently, as well as being an effective team player;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with fluent written and spoken English.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• This is a home-based position but it is preferable that the applicant is based in Bogor, Indonesia.
The application deadline is 14 Aug-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
More Info, please kindly go to the following link : http://www.cifor.org/career/168/freelance-graphic-designer/